GapsClub Membership Gives You “peace of mind” and a great value service.
GapsClub membership provides our members with access to a handy-man service for those little jobs that do not warrant the services of a building contractor. In the event of an emergency, you will have accesses to our 24-hour service without call-out charges.
An Introduction to the Care of Buildings
The care of buildings includes the cleaning, maintenance, repair and improvement activities that are necessary to comply with the policies of an organisation and ensure a safe and weatherproof building.
The care of its buildings (and surrounding car parks, landscaped space etc) should be a core business activity of any organisation owning property. If it is not a core activity then the organisation –
- will probably not receive the quality of information that it needs at decision-making levels;
- may not authorise an appropriate level of spending; and
- may direct vital spending to inappropriate or inessential activities.
“Building care encompasses the management and maintenance of premises. Premises-related costs typically represent 15% of the costs of running a business; they are the second largest cost after people and they are the largest area of readily reducible costs to seriously impact on the bottom line.” (Wood B)
Thus, the care of buildings is important, but it is frequently an area where expenditure is disproportionately cut when budget savings must be made. Failure to maintain an appropriate level of spending will mean that –
- future maintenance etc is more expensive;
- future maintenance is more disruptive;
- the value of buildings is not maintained;
- the appearance of buildings is not maintained;
- performance breakdowns are more frequent;
- safety (of occupants, the public and maintenance workers) may be compromised.
Reference: Wood, B, Building Care, 2003, Blackwell Publishing, 0-632-06049-2.
For an annual fee members receive our 15 point property maintenance check:
- Check external structures for signs of dilapidation.
- Damp checks; looking for for early signs and offer advice for prevention.
- Visual inspection of the drains via manhole, disinfect chamber.
- Examine external paint work and finishes for signs of damage or deterioration.
- Ease sicking windows and external doors.
- Check the security of windows and doors.
- Check condition of gutters and gullies.
- Insulation checks on exposed pipework and water tanks. Draft proofing checks.
- Checks to Smoke Alarms and Carbon Dioxide detectors.
- Check overflows and adjust ballcocks as necessary.
- Check roof and chimney stacks from gutter line for signs of deterioration.
- Check exposed timbers for signs of Dry/Wet rot, woodworm and pests.
- Stopcocks checked and lubricated.
- Check air brick and and gas flues and remove obstructions.
- Visually check boundary security.
We would be pleased to quote for a bespoke plan for your property.
If you have a question regarding property maintenance, click here or on the Ask us a Question button in the menu bar.